The weekend is finally here, and it’s time to get away with your special someone, to someplace special. Weekends away are the best. They don’t require asking for time off, nor do they need a lot of planning. Only … (sigh) … packing. Have no fear, our packing list for a couple’s weekend will have you away in no time. We’ve also included a downloadable version at the end.
Luggage & Bags
Packing for a short couple’s weekend you just need a small bag. Remember, you’ll be tempted to overpack if your bag is too large.
Looking for a new bag? Check out our post Right Bag For The Right Trip.
- Wallet and/or purse
- IDs – passport/driver’s license/student ID
- Cash and credit/debit cards
- Health insurance card and/or trip insurance
- Travel & event tickets
- Prescription medicines
- Eyeglasses/extra contacts, case and solution
- Phone & charger/USB cord – bonus if it’s loaded with great music
- Camera, lenses, charger, extra batteries, and memory cards
- Camera accessories (flash, tripod, filters, remote shutter release, cleaning cloths)
- Maps, guidebooks, and phrase books
- Oh, and I guess we can’t forget, a face mask
Toiletries & Personal Items
Most hotels supply the basic toiletries if you don’t mind what you use. We prefer to bring our own. Though this is a comprehensive list, whittle it down to just what makes sense for your trip.
TIP: Travel size toiletries are often overpriced and non-refillable. We prefer to fill our GoToob+ travel bottles instead. No leaks and backed by a lifetime warranty.
We keep a toiletry bag packed and ready to go
- Body wash
- Face wash
- Massage oil – for those romantic evening cuddles
- Cotton swabs
- Razor/shaving cream
- Hairbrush/comb – I love my travel size brush
- Shower cap
- Makeup/applicators/brushes – travel size and only the essentials
- Sunscreen, after-sun
- Insect repellent
- Hand sanitizer/hand wipes
- Tissues/pocket toilet paper
- Feminine hygiene products
- Birth control
- Travel hair appliances (curler, straightener)
Added Comforts & Security
- Eye mask
- Reading material / E-reader and charger
- Travel pillow
- Water carrier (reusable water bottle or water bladder)
- Wine opener/bottle stopper – not all hotels have them to borrow
- Waterproof bag or rain cover for bag
- Deck of playing cards
- Luggage locks (TSA approved if flying)
Mostly these are the types of things that can stand in the way of a romantic couple’s weekend. We recommend not packing them on such a short trip unless you have to.
- Laptop/tablet and charger
- Drone, charger, extra batteries, and memory cards
- Action/underwater camera and accessories
- Power bank and connector cord
- Sat Nav and charging cord – if you can’t use your phone maps
Our rule of thumb for weekend trips is an outfit for each day, and one extra outfit. Plus, one evening outfit if we plan to go out. This includes what we travel in.
We often travel in the shoulder seasons where weather is changeable and sometimes rainy. We mitigate these issues with our extra outfit. Ideally, we look for outfits that can be layered, and mixed and matched together.
Shoes add a lot of bulk and weight. If we are driving, then we don’t stress about it. However, it does become a consideration when flying. Look for shoes that are versatile and comfortable.
- Shirts (T-shirts/blouses/sweaters) x each day, plus one
- Pants (slacks/jeans/shorts/skirts) x each day, plus one
- Substitute a cute dress for one outfit
- Evening attire (dress shirt/blouse and slacks/skirt or dress, tie) x 1
- Underwear (briefs/boxers/panties/bras) x each day, plus one
- Socks x each day, plus one
- Sleepwear x 1 – the sexier it is, the less packing room it needs
- Shoes – versatile and appropriate for destination x 1
- Waterproof jacket with hood or umbrella
- Hat/scarf/bandanna/hair ties
- Belt x 1 – reversible belts are great for travel
- Evening jacket and/or dark cardigan – nice cardigans can dress up most outfits
- Evening shoes – sometimes your day pair just doesn’t work with evening attire
- Tank tops/camisoles/undershirts
- Workout wear (sports bra, gym shorts, tank top)
- Swimwear/cover-up – especially if there’s a hotel pool or sauna
A few additional items will make a cold weather destination a bit more bearable. Winter gear is expensive, if you have it, it’s best to bring with you.
- Coat or parka
- Thermal undershirts and pants – merino wool is best
- Gloves or mittens
- Balaclava or scarf
- Ski or snowboarding gear (googles, boots, ski pants) – typically available for rent
Beach destinations are easy. You’ll want to bring your swimsuit, but mostly everything else can be cheaply bought, or rented at your destination.
- Beach towel
- Flip flops or water shoes
- Snorkeling gear (mask, fins, snorkel)
Basic Medical & First Aid
We typically carry a small first aid kit with us. Arguably, you could pick up anything you need locally, but who wants to go out at 2am with an upset stomach. You can make your own kit, or pre-made kits come in convenient sizes.
Your kit should include:
- Assorted bandages
- Gauze wrap with medical tape
- Blister pads
- Antiseptic wipes
- Saline solution eye wash or drops
- Fine tip tweezers
- Disposable gloves
- Emergency blanket
- CPR mouth guard
- First aid basic instructions sheet
We also add to our kit:
- Antibiotic ointment
- Anti-itch cream
- Pain killers – a mix of aspirin and non-aspirin is best
- Imodium pills – for diarrhea
- Antacid pills – for heartburn or indigestion
- Antihistamine – for allergies
- Cold and flu pills (non-drowsy and nighttime)
- Motion sickness tablets
- Bite extractor – (for outdoor trips) Growing up in Florida we had one of these extractors around the house. They are great for bee stings, spider bites, even ticks.
Downloadable Couple's Weekend Packing List
To make it easy to get away for your couple’s weekend, we’ve created this printable checklist for you. No need to register or give us any details. Simply use the link to download a copy of our Couple’s Weekend Packing List.
Looking for weekend trip inspiration?